Sunday, September 10, 2006

Pleasure

Still going thru papers and stuff, sorting, throwing out, etc, and I found a yellowed and tattered clipping from a newspaper (1990). There is a quote from a book by Ruth Gendler, "The Book of Qualities": "Pleasure is wild and sweet. She likes purple flowers. She loves the sun and the wind and the night sky. She carries a silver bowl full of liquid moonlight. She has a cat named Midnight with stars on his paws. Many people mistrust Pleasure and even more misunderstand her. For a long time I could hardly stand to be in the same room with her. I thought she was a gossip and a flirt and she drank too much. In school we learned that she was dangerous, and I was sure that she would distract me from my work. I didn't realize she could nurture me. As I have changed, Pleasure has changed. I have learned to value her friendship." It has taken a long long time for me to look at pleasure as something to be cherished, rather than quiltily sneak a peek at her. 'spose that comes from the Presbyterian/Southern Baptist upbringing?? I've come a long way, baby!

No comments: