Monday, July 14, 2008

stash reduction of all types of "stuff"

seems that lately my days have revolved around or included the dispersal of lots of that accumulated stuff... some of which has been sitting right out there in the open begging for some decision on destination... some which has been buried in closets for YEARS.  I really hate making the decisions required, because in the back of my mind there is always that voice lurking and whispering "well, that is certainly still usable and might be needed some day".  sounds kind of like my mom in all her Scottish and Depression Era frugality, whose genes keep coming thru in my being!  Now, really.... that drawer full of zippers still packaged and kept around just in case i decide to sew clothes again (that will never happen and i've known that for a long time) should really go in the Good Will bag.  and zippers are probably the least of my concerns.  What about the boxes of tax returns from 15 to 20 years ago... hmmmm?  and boxes of cancelled checks to match??  and knitting patterns from the 80s?  my inner martyr reminds me of all the time and hassle we save our DS by doing this now, ourselves.  It is a comfort (of sorts) to know that at least i haven't become the little old lady in stories i've heard who saved everything that came into her life, to the point of only having a path between stacks of saved stuff to get thru rooms in the house.  and my mom saved string.... all string.. and even had a box for string that was too short to save! no, really, she did!  My very dear dh/spousal unit has completely endeared himself to me... what a guy!  I was bitching about having to make decisions as to which fibers and yarns to keep and which to give away/sell/trash... and the dear man seemed surprised.  He thought i'd just put it all in boxes and keep it.  obviously, he has no clear idea of just how much stash i have!  and even after parting with quite a bit of the fiber, Kate and i will still have more than enough to last us thru any potential fiber famine, and a couple of lifetimes!  


2 comments:

LavenderSheep said...

I have the same thing with purging out things from my stash. However, it could be worse, my professor in college studied under a woman that saved bits of string (she was a weaver) and used them to stuff pillows. Now there is economy!

Carolyn said...

Eh, it's amazing how it can pile up "silently". Going through a move last year and having one coming up soon, I found that out. At least most of my stash is at its ultimate destination.

Good luck!!