Sunday, January 16, 2005

best socks


Today I was looking through my handknit socks trying to decide if i would ever actually darn the holes in a few socks, or
if they would just lie sadly neglected in their holey state. I think i'd rather knit a total new pair than try to repair one sock.
Anyway, this pair got my vote as the best pair ever... with high points for lots of wear and no holes. I dyed and spun some
Wensleydale top (actually, i think i bought the purple already dyed and maybe the turquoise). and until i put the finished
socks on, i kept thinking that the fiber just did not feel quite sock-like... it was kind of coarse and not cushy feeling. they
do feel good on, though and i like the way the patterning came out (invented as i went along) And I also like that i made the cuff long enough. Too often i get tired of doing the ribbing and the cuffs arent long enough. These ended up being
fraternal rather than identical socks. What i learned from this pair was to take care in putting patterning in the foot, as
there is a spot on one sock, in the instep where it's just a bit too snug and wont stretch because of the carried yarn. and,
of course, Wensleydale doesnt have the give that my usual handspun sock yarn (Romney, BFL, Corrie etc) After i finish the
boring pair i'm working on now I'll do a pair with multi-colored angora/wool blend for the cuff and use mohair/wool for
the heel and foot. i love fluffy cuffs!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fluffy is good bg

Hair is woven with lighter brown. Picture when time permits. Translate to when I can get me , Geoffrey and the camera in the same place at one time.

I will send longer post via email this weekend. I promise-ha famous last words. Would more likely be easier to call.

Hugs-